Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Out and About: Lake Arrowhead

I have a confession- I don't really like living in southern California. I know it's paradise to many, but I'm having a really hard time getting used to the heat and the traffic and the overall culture here. I still kind of want to cry (and sometimes do) several times a week- it's been that difficult of a transition.

That said, I am trying to find things to love about it and to that end, the mister and I have been making more of an effort to get out and explore, not just LA, but the whole region. A few weeks ago we took a day trip to Lake Arrowhead- up in the mountains about an hour away from our house.





We brought along a cold fried chicken picnic (my favorite picnic food!), and I, of course, could not resist turning it into a little practice 'styled shoot' with some fun vintage props. The mister even took a turn behind the camera- that last photo of me is one of his- not too shabby right?









After lunch we went on a little nature walk on a trail along some stands of Sequoias. We spotted a few creatures, and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the forest. In the morning as we drove up the mountain I thought about how I would love to have a feather to add to a little photo display, and I actually found one- a little extra dose of joy.

It may not be the Pacific Northwest, but I did enjoy our time around Lake Arrowhead. Next weekend, for my birthday, we're heading on a camping trip near Santa Barbara and 'm looking forward to finding more things to love about SoCal.

What do you love about where you live? Is it easy to love your city or a challenge? I'd enjoy hearing your stories!

7 comments:

  1. Oh what I would give to share that lunch with you! Nice pictures :) you guys are too cute.

    Sometimes I have a really hard time living in Yakima, because I feel so different from everyone. Normal things we do (like walk) gets us raised eyebrows and questions. Sometimes I just wanna fit in and not be noticed so much. Then I remember how cheap our rent is.... and that helps lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good plaid picnic blanket. SoCal is definitely different but you'll find your niche soon, I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I don't think I could live in California! A few months of "too hot" sun in Seattle and I'm ready for a good overcast day and some wool socks. :) This forest does look pretty though - I love dry woods with pine trees! I also LOVE your picnic blanket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Guess I Wont Be Moving To Cali. I Cant stand the heat. beautiful photos lovely picnic, enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Danae,
    I was born and raised in SoCal, but have been in Colorado for about 19 years now. My grandparents lived up at Big Bear Lake (near Arrowhead) for quite a few years and that area is a lovely respite from the "other" elements of southern California living! When I was growing up in L.A. county I always thought it had it all-mountains, beaches, deserts-who would want to live anywhere else? Now after all these years away, I find it very difficult to be there for visits (much of my family is still there). Although California does have so much natural beauty, it is indeed sadly obscured by the smog, traffic and the culture.
    Every area does have it's beauty and blessings and I applaud you for actively seeking those things where you are! I'll be visiting my parents there next month, and will be doing the same thing while there-paying attention to what's lovely! I'm glad to have found your blog today and just added you to my Bloglovin' list. Your photos are beautiful!

    Jeanette @ Creating a Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thrilled I found you through "folk"!! Your blog pics are absolutely darling!
    We are making our way to Arizona soon- so I will be understanding the heat your talking about soon enough I am sure! Hope you can keep finding beautiful things like picnics to make up for the heat!
    Ps. Perfect name! it's my middle name! It's official we should be friends haha☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. This picnic is amazing. You styled it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting notes and comments from you! Feel free to share your own blog or website so I can see what you're up to!

Pin It button on image hover